"People only see what is visible, measurable. God sees into the heart. He not only forgives our failures, He sees successes where no one else does - not even ourselves. Only God can give us credit for the angry words we did not speak, the temptations we resisted, the patience and gentleness little noticed and long forgotten by those around us. Just being human gives us value in His eyes, and trying to live with integrity makes us successful before Him. God redeems us from the sense and fear of failure because He sees us as no human eyes can see us. Some religions teach that God sees so clearly that He knows all our shameful thoughts and nasty secrets. I prefer to believe that God sees us so clearly that He knows better than anyone else our wounds and sorrows, the scars on our hearts from having wanted to do more and do better, and being told by the world that we never would." ~Rabbi Harold Kushner

08 May 2010

not everything is a choice...

Yesterday I was talking to my mom and she made an interesting point...that perhaps I've never given much thought to...she said that if I ever did choose dating girls over the gospel then it would mean that the gospel lost its importance to me...some of it anyway...and I think she is right. When I try to imagine that day...the day that the gospel, the truth, is no longer the most important thing in my life...I can't imagine it...and that is just it...it isn't just a "thing" in my life...it is a part of who I am...it is SO much of who I am...this truth makes me who I am. The truth of liking girls makes me who I am too. And perhaps this is an odd thing to say, but I don't think I would be the same Sam minus the liking girls. It is a part of who I am...(I guess Affirmation.org and I agree on one thing)...I even think it is an intentional part of who I am...but it is doesn't dictate my life...it doesn't because of those two things that I was born with, that are a very real part of me...I am CHOOSING the gospel. It is a choice. I don't choose to like girls, that is NOT a choice AT.ALL. And frankly, my knowledge of the gospel has never really been a choice either...I kind of came out of the womb knowing...so from the two truths that have ruled my life...I choose the truthfulness of the gospel.
...BUT SOME THINGS ARE.

No comments: