"People only see what is visible, measurable. God sees into the heart. He not only forgives our failures, He sees successes where no one else does - not even ourselves. Only God can give us credit for the angry words we did not speak, the temptations we resisted, the patience and gentleness little noticed and long forgotten by those around us. Just being human gives us value in His eyes, and trying to live with integrity makes us successful before Him. God redeems us from the sense and fear of failure because He sees us as no human eyes can see us. Some religions teach that God sees so clearly that He knows all our shameful thoughts and nasty secrets. I prefer to believe that God sees us so clearly that He knows better than anyone else our wounds and sorrows, the scars on our hearts from having wanted to do more and do better, and being told by the world that we never would." ~Rabbi Harold Kushner

14 July 2008

Bollocks!!

One day, a few months ago, I was driving in the car with my friend Alice, and I was pretty ornery that day, and Alice said, in response to an ornery remark I made, "You're a bitch". I acknowledged that I was being a bit bitchy at that moment, but she said it wasn't just this moment, it was always...it was my personality. Not being in a mood to really argue, and frankly, thinking she might indeed be right, I brushed over the comment and we went on with our evening. However, upon later mulling over of the comment I became somewhat irritated. I am not a bitch...well I can be...but I don't think it's who I am. That is not in my nature. I am a good, and kind person...as is my friend Alice...probably one of the kindest I know.

Alice has, unfortunately, only known me during a very unpleasant and somewhat dark period in my life...so to her...that is my core personality. But still, whether she knew me before or not, if she really knew me I have to believe she would see what kind of person I really am...and I think she does, and I think it was more of a passing comment but every once in a while it bothers me that she said that.

But despite all of that, she is a friend, a trusted friend, who has been loyal, and understanding from the very beginning. I want her to see the person I use to be...I want to be the person I was. I NEED to be the person I was. It makes me sad that perhaps she doesn't see that...maybe she doesn't know I can be that person...and what scares me even more is that maybe I will never be that person again.

No comments: