"People only see what is visible, measurable. God sees into the heart. He not only forgives our failures, He sees successes where no one else does - not even ourselves. Only God can give us credit for the angry words we did not speak, the temptations we resisted, the patience and gentleness little noticed and long forgotten by those around us. Just being human gives us value in His eyes, and trying to live with integrity makes us successful before Him. God redeems us from the sense and fear of failure because He sees us as no human eyes can see us. Some religions teach that God sees so clearly that He knows all our shameful thoughts and nasty secrets. I prefer to believe that God sees us so clearly that He knows better than anyone else our wounds and sorrows, the scars on our hearts from having wanted to do more and do better, and being told by the world that we never would." ~Rabbi Harold Kushner

08 October 2008

Sitting on the floor

Alex and I were talking a few weeks back and she said that she would rather be sitting on the floor, than have the chair pulled out from underneath her again. I understand that desire, I do. I have been sitting on the floor for the last, almost, five months. But I can’t; that is not the way life works. Ky was very adamant to defend Alex last night when I was sharing my frustrations about Alex’s attitude. Ky said that there is comfort and even a “safe” feeling in misery. I know that…I have been miserable; I have let myself swim in my misery…bathe in it even. That action, or lack of action, got me nowhere. Well, that is not entirely true…it did get me somewhere, but not somewhere I wanted to be. In the end, it made things worse.

I understand that it is difficult to get up off the floor. It is easier to be pessimistic, or even realistic. But it is depressing, and we cannot progress nearly as much. I can’t begin to know what life is like for Alex, or even for Ky, and they can’t begin to know what it’s like for me…but for ALL of us, I KNOW that it is better that we pick ourselves up EVERY SINGLE TIME we are knocked down, or fall.

No comments: