"People only see what is visible, measurable. God sees into the heart. He not only forgives our failures, He sees successes where no one else does - not even ourselves. Only God can give us credit for the angry words we did not speak, the temptations we resisted, the patience and gentleness little noticed and long forgotten by those around us. Just being human gives us value in His eyes, and trying to live with integrity makes us successful before Him. God redeems us from the sense and fear of failure because He sees us as no human eyes can see us. Some religions teach that God sees so clearly that He knows all our shameful thoughts and nasty secrets. I prefer to believe that God sees us so clearly that He knows better than anyone else our wounds and sorrows, the scars on our hearts from having wanted to do more and do better, and being told by the world that we never would." ~Rabbi Harold Kushner

13 February 2011

February=Love: the 13th

I know, I know...I am missing a few days.  But I didn't PROMISE I would write everyday, just that I would try.

"Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with.  His mind was created for his own thoughts, not yours or mine"
~Henry S Haskins

I use to wonder if people would think I was crazy....well people do think I am a little crazy...but specifically I would wonder if they thought it was ridiculous that I would strive to live my life in a way that would prohibit me from having an intimate relationship with a girl. I mean, really? Why deny myself something that is so fulfilling?  Why go through life as just Mario...with no Luigi?  No peas to my carrots?  No yin to my yang?  No pork chops for my apple sauce? No (insert euphemism of your choice)?  

Well I've since discovered that some people do indeed think that I am crazy for trying to be celibate and live the gospel of Jesus Christ...denying myself a fulfilling and emotionally, spiritually and physically intimate relationship.  You might think these are people who are not members of the LDS faith.  And some of them are...but there are, surprisingly, a fair amount of people who think I am crazy (for this reason) who are of my faith.  It is not that they don't believe the gospel of Jesus Christ isn't true...I'm actually not entirely sure what their reasons are.

And truly, I can understand the disbelief, the exasperation, the disappointment, the irritation, the confusion, the (insert adjective of choice).  To be perfectly honest...I often want to say to other members who struggle with same gender attraction..."do what you need to do".  In fact, I have done that.  Here is why.

As the quote above states, "His mind was created for his own thoughts, not yours or mine"  I feel that way.  I don't often know what has gone on in another person's life, let alone their head, to bring them to the point they're at...emotionally and spiritually.  I've come to realize in the last five or so years how personal the gospel of Jesus Christ really is.  In this life it is between us (as in yourself or myself) and God.  (Which is my succinct way of saying myself, God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost).

So while I will not tell someone how to live their life (except maybe if I have kids...jokes!)  I will do my best to live my life in the best way that I can, so that I might be an example to those around me.  And sometimes I do think we need to call our friends on their crap...because I know I need my friends to call me on mine sometimes.  But let us strive to do so in a loving way...the way that the Savior would.  

I wrote this  and this a while back and I feel like both are completely applicable to this post.  I would hope that although I may make a choice for my life that those around me do not understand, whether it is going down the gospel path, or the path that leads to pork chops for my applesauce, they will not be so harsh to the point that my faith is being torn apart.  For it is one of the few things in this life that is truly my own, that I have worked so hard to gain.  I do my best to always be respectful of what other's believe...and why they believe what they believe.  But respect does not mean I have to change my beliefs or outlook or put my faith into something else.  It means that I listen to them, possibly share my own feelings and beliefs, and then go about my business having a better understanding of that person which hopefully leads to a more Christ-like love.

No comments: